SoftHistory Forums
[Tutorial]Exporting HFS Filesystems from Hybrid Discs - Printable Version

+- SoftHistory Forums (http://forum.softhistory.org)
+--- Thread: [Tutorial]Exporting HFS Filesystems from Hybrid Discs (/showthread.php?tid=20)

[Tutorial]Exporting HFS Filesystems from Hybrid Discs - user99672 - 27 Oct 2014

You may have a piece of software (e.g. Math Blaster: In Search of Spot) that has a version for classic Mac OS and Windows. You'll notice that if you insert the disc on both platforms, there are two filesystems on the disc. Naturally, a HFS volume will be visible to Mac OS, and an ISO9660 volume to Windows and other Operating Systems. This is known as a hybrid disc. This term is not exclusive, there are multiple types of hybrid discs (involving other optical disc formats, and filesystems, etc.)

Lets imagine the following scenario. I want to run the game Sunburst Numbers Undercover in Sheepshaver. I have a MDF/MDS Alcohol 120% dump of the disc.

I'll mount the MDF in SheepShaver and...

Nope...that clearly didn't work.

(These are all as far as I know, and have tested, they are not guaranteed to be the best, or most effective methods, or definitive, YMMV)

Method 1 (Assuming you're on Windows):
If your software is under 300MB on the desired filesystem, install the trial version of UltraISO (or the full version, if you intend to buy it, or if the legitimacy of your license to it is not a concern). Normally I would not recommend UltraISO because it has a tendency to destroy the headers on images we create, but we're making disposable images here...(you are keeping the mds/mdf masters, right?). Open up the MDF (using UltraISO, duh). and you should a control which says "Hybrid/ISO". If it does not display this, you may have truncated the HFS volume on your disc by whatever method you used to dump it. In the "Actions" menu, you should see the option "Switch to HFS Volume". Math Blaster: In Search of Spot in specific was not done correctly, and therefore on the ISO 9660 volume, we see the Windows setup files, and on the HFS volume, we see both the Windows AND MacOS Setup files...so it's obvious not all discs will be perfect.

At this point you should verify that you're on the HFS volume by looking for folders and files like:

\Desktop Folder\
\Temporary Items\
\Trash\
\Desktop DB
\Desktop DF
\DesktopPrinters DB

Once you've confirmed as such, under the "Tools" menu, click on "Convert", and export to your preferred format. Opening the resulting file in another image editor, (Such as MagicISO), you should only see the relevant HFS files...and co-incidentally, the (ISO, in my case) image, works with SheepShaver...

{will add more methods later...others are very welcome to add their knowledge in.}