SoftHistory Forums
Registration EMail addresses - Printable Version

+- SoftHistory Forums (http://forum.softhistory.org)
+--- Thread: Registration EMail addresses (/showthread.php?tid=26)

Registration EMail addresses - user99672 - 04 Nov 2014

Please notice that we MUST have a valid email address. We recently had a registration from a 'MagesticSquid'. While we do not know if this user was real or a spambot, we cannot accept invalid emails, or temporary email addresses. If you have some concerns about anonymity, please email the board administrator.

Thank you,
user99672
SoftHistory Staff.

EDIT: Yes MagesticSquid was a real registration, to MagesticSquid, please contact the staff if you do not want to use your real email...

RE: Registration EMail addresses - Archenemy - 04 Nov 2014

So one of the admins have to activate our accounts by a valid email address?

RE: Registration EMail addresses - user99672 - 04 Nov 2014

No, it's for the user to activate his/her account, or for admin notifications, or board functions (such as subscriptions). It also helps in verifying if the user is a human or a spambot.

RE: Registration EMail addresses - Archenemy - 05 Nov 2014

To anyone who wants to sign up but not have their real email shown, go create a fake email account and then you can activate using the fake email account you created then after that, send the activation email to the fake email account and then after that go on to your fake email account and go on the inbox and you will see the activation link. And don't spread any information about yourself. So that is how you become anonymous.

RE: Registration EMail addresses - user99672 - 05 Nov 2014

No. What Archenemy suggested is absolutely not allowed, as I said, if you have a concern with anonymity, you contact the staff before registering and we will see if we can fit your needs. The rules are not exhaustive, and we do not appreciate people registering with false credentials. "Not Exhaustive" also means you should not be looking for loopholes or trying to bypass staff.

RE: Registration EMail addresses - Battler - 05 Nov 2014

- Archenemy: You don't need a fake e-mail address to be anonymous, since I don't think any e-mail service (except for ones in South Korea and Japan) checks your identity via ID or something, so you can simply enter in a fake name.
Please note that we do accept registrations using e-mail addresses that don't use your real name (my own doesn't use my real name for that matter). What we do not accept, is registrations using e-mail addresses that do not exist, or do not belong to you (ie. stolen addresses). So anonymity is fine, using e-mail addresses that don't exist is not.

RE: Registration EMail addresses - Archenemy - 05 Nov 2014

I meant as in creating an actual email address with anonymous details inside the email adress.

RE: Registration EMail addresses - user99672 - 05 Nov 2014

Let me try to make this as simple as possible:

real.last79@gmail.com <--Ok
blahblahblahmyemail@hotmail.com <-- Ok
youronlinehandle@aol.com <-- Ok

bullcrap@spam.com <-- Not Ok
temp_6990@spaminbox.net <-- Not Ok

You are not required to use your real identity...just a _valid_ email address that you can be reached by, and not a temporary one.

RE: Registration EMail addresses - Archenemy - 06 Nov 2014

That is exactly what I meant by "creating a fake email address."

RE: Registration EMail addresses - user99672 - 06 Nov 2014

It really did not seem that way, especially since it was in tutorial form, also, an account for your handle is not what we consider a non real email. But it's equally my fault for ambiguity.

TL;DR for this thread: Invalid Email Addresses and Temporary Addresses are not acceptable, all others are.