What is the best way to apply thermal paste to a laptop CPU?

Power supply bursting into flames? Coffee spilled on your keyboard? Ask for help here.

Moderator: Owners

qeeg

What is the best way to apply thermal paste to a laptop CPU?

Post by qeeg »

Hey, i was looking to improve the performance of my laptop by replacing the thermal grease, but I don't know how likely I am to damage my CPU in the process. For reference, my laptop has a Ryzen 5 3500U in it.
OK IT'S CHILDISH GAMBINO, HOMEGIRL DROP IT LIKE THE NASDAQ
Battler
Site Admin

Re: What is the best way to apply thermal paste to a laptop CPU?

Post by Battler »

Since when is this a forum for supporting *new* hardware? I thought this was supposed to be for *old* hardware? :P
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

qeeg wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:25 pm Hey, i was looking to improve the performance of my laptop by replacing the thermal grease, but I don't know how likely I am to damage my CPU in the process. For reference, my laptop has a Ryzen 5 3500U in it.
The main hazard is applying uneven pressure on the die, which in the worst case may cause it to crack since laptop CPUs don't have an IHS. That's why you should unscrew and screw the screws in a cross pattern instead of a clockwise fashion.
DDX

Post by DDX »

Battler wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:45 am Since when is this a forum for supporting *new* hardware? I thought this was supposed to be for *old* hardware? :P
You forget to consider the hundreds of people who may want to revive their 1998 ThinkPads, Battler. Think of the ThinkPad army!
86Box Power User & Socials Manager
86Box YouTube Channel | Twitter: @86BoxEmulator
Ene

Post by Ene »

Take your syringe, apply a small drop of thermal compound on your shiny chip, don't get any of that shit on the socket or the legs (if there is one).
If you fucked up, take some denaturated alcohol and a toothbrush, apply a bit of alcohol on the CPU and slowly scrub the compound off. Cover it with a cooling system.
Last edited by Ene on Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Malware is art! Don't let it become a filthy criminal's tool! [https://malwat.ch]
qeeg

Post by qeeg »

I don't think a toothbrush would be a good thing to use on a raw laptop CPU die lol. What if i end up scratching the die with that thing?
OK IT'S CHILDISH GAMBINO, HOMEGIRL DROP IT LIKE THE NASDAQ
Battler
Site Admin

Post by Battler »

- DDX: I'd say 1998 ThinkPads qualify as old hardware, being, well, 22 years old.